While sunlight provides many benefits to our skin and our body as a whole, too much of it can be harmful. Sun damage caused by excessive exposure to sunlight can cause sun spots, freckles, wrinkles, and leathery skin. Many people get sun damage due to spending a lot of time tanning outdoors under the sun’s ultraviolet rays. The same also applies to indoor tanning beds which have also proven to be harmful for the skin.
In the past, treating dark brown spots, age spots, freckles, and other sun damaged conditions had very limited number of options. However, today, with the advancements of medical technology, there are now many methods of removing sun spots. Among the most common treatments are over-the-counter lotions and creams, chemical peels, and laser treatments. In fact, Dr. Miguel Delgado has developed treatment protocols for sun spot and age spot laser removal at his practice.
- Over-The-Counter Products: There are many lotions, gels, creams, and ointments available in stores which promise to treat sun spots. These work by peeling off the outer layer of skin in hopes of removing the spots. Unfortunately, many times the damage is deeper than just the outer layer and, in such cases, these topical treatments are rendered ineffective. Not to mention, these topical treatments can also be extremely slow in producing any results and some may even be useless.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels are better and faster than any topical treatment. A certified physician applies the chemical peel to the skin causing it to peel over. As a result, this exposes a new layer of skin underneath and kickstarts the body’s natural regenerating process
- Laser: Laser treatments for sun damage are also known as photofacial rejuvenation. These treatments use laser devices that are by far the most effective method when it comes to treating sun damaged skin. One of the most popular devices is Palomar Icon. This sun spot removal laser is highly effect and remove any dark spots on the face much quicker than most other methods. Once the skin heals, it is clearer and smoother than before. Our exclusive Marin County sun spot removal laser treatments can help improve overall skin tone.
Our highly qualified medical professionals specialize in laser sun spot removal. Above all, our experts prefer the Palomar Icon Laser for most dark spot removal laser treatments. For dealing with sun damaged conditions like dark brown spots, age spots, sun spots, and freckles, our skin specialists use the Palomar Icon MaxG hand piece. MaxG is safe, quick, and less painful than chemical peels with long-lasting results. Moreover, it can be used to treat any and all forms of sun damage as well as clear deep facial vessels and pigmented lesions at the same time.
While our Marin County age spot laser removal treatments are excellent, the best way to combat sun damage is to prevent it from occurring. Here are some precautions you can take in order to avoid getting sun damage:
- Wear sunscreen whenever you are going out.
- Cover yourself with clothing and a wide brim hat to shade your face.
- Try not to be outside from 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. this is when the sun is strongest.
If you have sun spots and would like to improve the appearance of your skin, contact our practice today to schedule a consultation.