What Will My Breasts Look Like After Implant Removal?
Breast implant removal is a standard practice. These are some of the most common reasons for unwanted breast implants:
- Recurrent issues or complications with breast implants, such as capsular contracture
- Age-related issues—some women find the implants too heavy as they age, or they have gained weight over the years and the implants are now much too large
- Breast implant illness concerns
- Breast implant rupture if silicone or deflation if saline implants
- Infection, bleeding, or other post-operative issues
The most critical question asked by women who want their breast implants removed is, “How will my breast look?” The breast appearance following breast implant removal will depend on various factors:
- How long have the breast implants been in place?
- What number of breast revision surgeries have been performed?
- How old is the patient and what is the effect of aging on their skin?
- How big are the breast implants to the actual breast tissue?
When the implants are removed, the factors above determine the look or aesthetics of the breasts. We hope that the skin will shrink and tighten back to an aesthetically pleasing position. Good skin elasticity will result in the best overall outcome. If there is skin laxity with the nipples drooping, a breast lift may be required to achieve the desired breast shape.
This patient is a good example of good skin contraction after implant removal.
Breast Lift After Implant Removal
The breast implant will stretch the skin over time. Most women have their implants in place for many decades, and as a result, there is a permanent change in breast skin elasticity. If the implant is removed in a young woman—or one who has not had children—the skin quality may survive and have an excellent aesthetic outcome. However, if this is not the case, breast lift (mastopexy) may be required.
Contact Our Practice
For more information, or if you are interested in breast implant removal and wish to speak with a board-certified plastic surgeon, please feel free to contact us today to book a consultation with Dr. Miguel Delgado. He would be happy to answer your questions and formulate a plan based on your unique needs and desires.Previous Post